Friday, December 3, 2010

December 3, 2010: Third Eye Blind - Motorcycle Drive By

Third Eye Blind - Motorcycle Drive By

I remember Andrew's mother driving us back home from a soccer tournament in Bathurst. I was in the front seat, Andrew and Simon in the back. It was beginning dark in streetlights and I was tired and didn't feel like talking. I put my headphones on and listened to Third Eye Blind. I was 14 at the time I think. I didn't know about revolution then, only what was presented to me. And I remember watching out the window and being filled with some kind of longing during that hour of driving.

I've listened back to some of the music I listened to in teenage lost and most of it is shit, turns out. (Ever re-listen to "Zombie" by The Cranberries?) Somehow, though, despite how much I want to dislike that first album by Third Eye Blind I can't. It's in me forever. I found something in it in my middle teenage years when I longed for escape and love and adventure and it won't let me go. When I could have run away but landed on patience reluctant. When I didn't know anything about PJ Harvey. I listen back to it and see it's terrible and unlistenable flaws but fall into it like water. There's a romance somewhere in there that still holds me.

I haven't seen Andrew's mother in years, nor Andrew nor Simon. I remember them well, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment